I haven’t got enough time to do any exercise - a familiar excuse we hear from our friends. Walking too is a form of exercise, don’t forget that. And if you do it correctly, it brings to you immense amount of benefits!
Let’s learn a few techniques on how to walk the right way. Walking the right way which improves your posture, flexibility and spinal health. We have been doing this after our parents helped us with taking those initial steps.
In order to stay healthy, roughly we are supposed to walk about 10,000 steps a day, which is approximately 4-6 km. However, most of us do get opportunities to walk about 1000 to 1500 steps a day with normal activities. And this is one of the most repetitive things you do day in day out. You could break your back, hips, and knees if proper care is not given while walking. Poor walking techniques can even lead to headaches.
When you walk, your hips absorb about 3 times your body weight and your knees about 7 times your body weight. This means that your hip needs to get the technique correct, else it’s going to put more stress on your knees and ankles.
- When you move forward, strike the ground with your heel, roll forward through arch of your foot & push from toes. You need to think about pushing the back leg with your toes not about leave the front leg.
- Your arm swing - most of us carry things in our hand and restrict the arm movement. For best results, bend elbows at 90 degrees angle & swing arms forwards & back. Pull tummy muscles in to tone abs & burn more calories. Swing your abs and move your hips nice and easy. This will save your body from a lot of breakdowns and a lot of stresses.
- The strides - take long strides, bring knees towards chest & keep your legs close together. Increase stride length to target inner & outer thigh muscles. (make sure you don’t walk like penguins)
- Posture - keep your shoulders posture back & relaxed, and move your shoulders opposite to your legs.
- Eyes - keep your eyes looking forward & chin level, focus on the horizon. Don’t look at your feet when you walk.
- Pace - walk at brisk pace as though you are late for an appointment. Get your heart rate up so that you burn more calories
Functionally, you can really get your alignment between the foot, the knee and the hip. You are going to safeguard your joints and reduce any potential discomfort in your knee joints, your lower back and your hips. Correct walking technique also provides great cosmetic benefits for your body as well!
Remember - if you are moving, you are IMPROVING!!